School Programs and Practices that Promote a Positive Learning Environment
Our school has developed a schoolwide discipline plan in accordance with school district policies and state law. This plan emphasizes student safety and stresses the essential concepts of honesty, human dignity, and mutual respect. It also consistently imposes immediate, fair, and logical consequences in cases of student infractions. Included in this plan is the use of suspension as a severe disciplinary action for specific behaviors cited in the California Education Code.
CHARACTER COUNTS! is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nonsectarian coalition of schools, communities and nonprofit organizations working to advance character education by teaching the Six Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
TheCharacter Counts! program is the basis for student behavior. Students are recognized for demonstrating good values and citizenship. Students who excel academically are recognized each trimester in schoolwide assemblies.
In addition to providing our students with a safe and orderly environment, we also place a strong emphasis on the recognition of positive student achievement through special school assemblies, awards, individual recognition, and successful participation in school district and countywide academic competition.
Character Counts! Values of the Month
- Caught in the Act raffle tickets are given for positive behavior which demonstrates the value of the month.
- Scholar Awards are given to students at the end of each trimester during an assembly for outstanding citizenship and academic success.
- Classroom Rewards are determined and monitored by the classroom teacher.
- Ice Cream Parties are awarded to classes who demonstrate great lunch behavior.
- President’s Awards for academic excellence are given to fifth grade students at the end of the year.
- Cougar Reading Stars are recognized by the Principal for meeting and surpassing their reading goals.
- Perfect Attendance Awards are given at the end of each trimester and at the end of the year.
Click Here for the official Character Counts! Website.